Variety steps in where health care ends.
Variety - The Children's Charity provides direct help to children in B.C. with funding for:
- Medical care and services
- Mobility and communication equipment and therapies
- Education and experiences
The application process
We're here to help you every step of the way through our confidential application process:
- Complete our prescreen form below.
- If we can meet your needs, we will send you an application.
- We will review you application and let you know the status.
- Children from birth to their 19th birthday
- A child must be a B.C. resident with a valid Personal Health Number (PHN) or Yukon resident with a valid Health Care Card
- Qualified special need (medical and/or developmental) as confirmed by a designated health care professional
- Financial circumstance that limits the ability to afford the item or service required
- Medical care and services
- Mobility and communications equipment and therapies
- Education and experiences that foster development
- Therapies: Speech & Language, Occupational, Physical, Counselling
- Adaptive Equipment: Power and Manual wheel chairs, adaptive trikes, hearing aids, standing walkers
- Custom Orthotics
- Tutoring Bursaries for Learning Disabilities
- Services or equipment not directly related to a child’s special/extra needs and which are not deemed medically/developmentally necessary
- Alternative or naturopathic treatments or those not provided in person including neuroplasticity or computer stimulation
- Any program/service or equipment that can be or is paid wholly by government (including Autism, At Home, Early Intervention, Health Region, First Nations Health, BC Family Residence Program. Top up considered
- Behavioral Intervention/Consultation or funding for Autism for children under six years old who receive over $22,000 per year funding
- Funding for any services related to Autism for children under six years old who receive over $22,000 per year in government funding
- Childcare, respite or related programs/services
- Warranties, insurance, maintenance, service agreements, batteries, repairs
- Administrative fees or operational costs
- Vehicles - except: Sunshine Family Van program and Van conversions including van ramp and tie downs to a max. $7500.00
- Medical services plans, premiums, deductibles
- Apps or software for technology
- Travel costs including: time, gas, mileage, truck or car rentals, parking or insurance
- Sports equipment that is non-adaptive or not does not support special needs
- Non B.C. or Yukon residents
- Reports, consultations, assessments
- Expenses that have already been initiated or have already occurred prior to submission or written approval
- Incomplete application forms
- Those without specific certification or professional credentials to deliver services to clients or the use of assistants
- Children or Youth over 19 years old
- A child without a personal health number (Care card)
- More than three requests in one year over $7500.00 total
- Children under six who qualify for early intervention or services through a Child Development Centre (CDC) or Health Authority (HA). (Top up considered)
- Equipment from non-Canadian distributors that cannot be invoiced directly from Variety or services outside Canada
Limits also include:
Tutoring: Maximum $2,000 per year; Tuition: Maximum $4,000 per year (reviewed only from August to October)
Compliance with our policies and guidelines does not guarantee funding of any application. Family assistance is made possible through donations and fundraising of Variety supporters.
Exceptions: Tuition is reviewed August 1 to October 31 only; Technology is reviewed January, June and November
Applications for individual grants may be made one time each year and will be given one year to complete from the time of approval.
Grants are valid for one year and anything unused will be returned to our general funds to support other families. Your “anniversary” date is the start date. Variety requires a new application and supporting documents annually. All requests for new or renewals start at www.variety.bc.ca. While you may re-apply before your end date to avoid a lapse in your child’s therapy, new start dates will not be issued before your anniversary date.
- Complete prescreen for eligibility.
- If your needs fit within our mandate and guidelines, we will send you an application and list of supporting documents required.
- We will review your application and let you know the status.
- Complete, signed application from parent/caregiver
- Letter of justification from a designated professional which clearly states: Diagnosis/special need(s) of child; The need for the request; How request will support the overall care plan of the child
- Current Notice of Assessment (NOA) from Revenue Canada for each adult (household) contributor that shows net income or Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) statement that shows net family net income. (T4 slips, T1 summaries or pay stubs will NOT be accepted). If parents are separated and one is still contributing significantly to the child’s needs (but living outside the household), their NOA is also required.
- Proof of exhausted or denied government funding, as applicable
- Additional supporting documents are also required with applications depending on the request. This list will be provided with each application form.
- A member of Variety’s Grants Team will confirm receipt of application.
- We regret that applications with any missing information or documents will not be considered. If your application is incomplete, you will be advised.
- Based on the volume of applications received, we endeavor to review applications within four to six weeks of receipt.
- If approved, the family will receive an approval in writing.