Organization Grants update effective January 1, 2017
Moving into 2017, Variety – the Children’s Charity of BC is increasing its focus to be more efficient in serving as many families whose children have special needs as possible, within the areas where our resources can help the most, and have the greatest possible impact through our individual grant program. Accordingly, Variety BC will only be accepting individual grant applications in order to provide direct support to families.
As such, Variety will not be considering any Organizational grants at this time. We fully intend to resume inquiries per the schedule below.
We encourage organizations to regularly check back for the latest updates on granting and eligibility criteria.
|Closing Dates Spring 2017||Closing Dates Fall 2017||Closing Dates Spring 2018|
|Inquiries via website||N/A||August 31 (5pm PST)||February 28 (5pm PST)|
|Application deadlines (for those invited)||N/A||September 30 (5pm PST)||March 31 (5pm PST)|
|Approvals provided||N/A||By December 31||By June 30|
- Support children and youth from birth to their 19th birthday and must provide services to children/youth who meet Variety’s individual grant eligibility for funding in B.C.
- Support children with a qualified (and confirmed) special need (medical/developmental). Generally a minimum of 25-50% of the total number of children the program/project will support
- Be a registered not-for-profit organization and have a Canada Revenue Agency Registration Number (CRA#) in good standing
- Applying organizations cannot have received funding from Variety in the past two years unless the application is for a different program and will benefit a new group of children
Areas of Support and Programs
Variety organization grants provide direct support to children in B.C. with special needs, including, but not limited to, funding for:
- Specialized equipment (adaptive, recreational/sports, medical)
- Construction/renovations (not wholly supported by government)
- Programs that directly deliver support(s) to children with special needs
- Capital campaigns which directly support children with special needs
- Summer camps that are inclusive and support special needs children
- Training and resources that increase the ability for special needs children to participate
How to Apply
Please Note: As of January 1, 2017, Variety will not be considering any Organizational grants at this time as we are focusing on individual grants to provide direct support to families. Please continue to check our website for updates.
All application inquires start here.
Carefully review the criteria and eligibility outlined on this page, then click “request an application” at the top of this page.
Once eligibility criteria has been confirmed, Variety’s grant program team will follow up with the request to determine if it fits Variety’s guidelines and priorities. Organizations that best suit the mandate will be invited to submit an application. Applications are invited and reviewed twice a year. Depending on the value of the request, applications are reviewed by the Heart of Variety Committee and then by the Board of Directors.
Applications are reviewed within two months of the closing date(s) that applications are received. All approvals or denials are provided in writing. Variety does not provide cash donations and does not reimburse any monies spent prior to approval in writing.
What and How Much Funding is Available?
The Variety Board of Directors sets the grant budget annually. Variety’s fiscal year begins October 1. As funds may be different from year to year and in relation to the number of many worthwhile proposals received, Variety will direct its community investment towards activities that are most consistent with its priorities and that are likely to have the greatest impact.
Compliance with our policies and guidelines does not guarantee funding of any application.
For funding exclusion information, please click here.