Buy-Low Foods & Variety BC
For over 30 years Buy-Low Foods has chosen to partner and align with Variety – The Children’s Charity of British Columbia. The year, 2016 is worthy of particular celebration and recognition as both organizations celebrate 50 years of operations serving British Columbians.
At Buy-Low it is the people behind the corporate name who are the heart of the organization as they donate their time, energy, and skills; it is the people who care about making a difference. At Buy-Low Foods, the strong support that Variety receives starts at the top with senior management and inspires employees throughout the entire organization. Dan Bregg, CEO; Sam Corea, Director of Retail Operations; Albert Lum, Director of Merchandising; Atanu Dalal, Director of Finance and Gene Crowley, Advertising & Promotions Manager lead a committed team of dedicated people who are inspired to help Variety make a difference in the lives of children with special needs .
Buy-Low’s impact does not stop with their team as they extend their reach to recruit and engage many of their suppliers and vendors to contribute to Variety’s cause, through donations to the annual Variety’s Show of Heart’s Telethon, Variety Week, Variety’s Vintage Market and through their annual Buy-Low Foods & Variety Golf Classic.
While we can quantify the dollars the Buy-Low has raised over the years, this doesn’t start to acknowledge the thousands of volunteer hours spent by Buy-Low employees and suppliers on behalf of Variety. This company has demonstrated its belief in the work of Variety for an entire generation! The impact Buy-Low has had is measured by the countless number of children and their smiling faces at our events.
Buy-Low Foods Contributions
Every year Buy-Low participates in all of Variety’s main events. Noteworthy in the last year are:
- The annual Buy-Low Foods & Variety Golf Classic, raising a record $77,000 at the sold-out summer event.
- Variety’s Market & Auction, each year Buy-Low recruits upwards of sixty suppliers to provide products for the vintage Variety Market that Buy-Low operates at the event, providing auction-goers with “old-fashioned-priced” bargains for everyday grocery items. This year’s sold-out, event raised a record $100,000
- Buy-Low Foods runs an in-store campaign to raise funds to support Variety’s Kid Champion program – where kids who have been helped by Variety become philanthropic leaders themselves and raise funds to help other kids with special needs This year the stores took it to a new level entering into a friendly ‘boys vs girls’ competition among all stores to see who could raise the most funds. This extra level of team spirit and competition meant they reached a new record, fundraising over $25,000 for the province-wide campaign.
- As 2016 was our 50th anniversary, Variety asked our corporate supporters to pull out all the stops and rally support from their business and personal networks in the lead-up the iconic Show of Hearts Telethon weekend. Buy-Low rose to this challenge and quickly became the team to beat; through their peer-to-peer campaign, they raised over $23,000 in under two weeks, clinching the top spot and setting the bar high for next year.
- Not only do they sell Variety’s Gold Heart pins in all their stores, Buy-Low also offers a scholarship incentive which rewards the top selling schools. The top spot usually going to a school that raises over $3,000 through pin sales
In addition to these fundraising events Buy-Low is a fantastic supporter of our annual volunteer-run events such as Boat for Hope, Picnic in the Park in Stanley Park; the Grouse Mountain Picnic; and the Variety Christmas Party. These events are organized by a volunteer committee for children and their families, at no cost, thanks in great part to the support of Buy-Low and their suppliers who generously donate all the food and refreshments. Not only do they donate the food for these events, the Buy-Low staff and suppliers also volunteer to cook and serve it too!
Most recently Buy-Low Foods raised $294,749 and presented their amazing contribution to BC’s kids with special needs at the Variety Show of Hearts Telethon 2020 this February 9 at the Hard Rock Casino.
Vintage Market is a one of a kind event that takes place in November at the Westin Bayshore, Vancouver where you go back in time and shop at vintage grocery prices. Buy-Low Foods replicate a grocery store experience for you to enjoy a day of vintage prices and more.
After filling your cart, you will enjoy a one-of-a-kind Breakfast Gala including a delicious Brunch Buffet, Live & Silent Auctions with exciting prize draws on the day.
2019 marked the 38th annual Vintage Market and another successful year as together we were able to raise over $136,000 to help BC’s kids with special needs.
Buy-Low Foods Information
To find out more about Buy-Low Foods please see their website HERE